· If “origin” is indeed limited to mean “country of origin,” then there is the risk of suggesting that all coffees from a given country taste like X, Y or Z. An even more problematic generalization comes of “origin” extends to the experiences of farmers in those countries, of local market dynamics or the chain of custody.
· The increasing quality of Yunnan coffee means we are shifting towards using it more frequently in our single origin coffees rather than blends.” While around 30% of Yunnan coffee is consumed domestically, the remaining 70% is exported around the world.
· The espresso, single origin and blend options have what’s called an assortment subscription, which is the best pick if you want to try different coffees all the time.
· Creating jobs at origin. Sara Yirga is the founder and manager of YA Coffee Roasters in Ethiopia, and a promoter of coffee consumption and value addition at origin. She says Martin and Diego’s success can inspire other baristas in coffee producing countries to see coffee as a possible career. “For us, it’s about job creation,” she says.
· Logan roasts coffee for Golden Ratio, a company that produces single-serve, “gold” roast coffee bags in Austin, Texas. “Golden Ratio aims to be less acidic, [so] we find the resulting cup is smoother and sweeter,” he says. “ [There are] more caramel [flavours], with complementing notes of cashew, oat milk, and malt tea.”.
· Reduced solubility and brittleness mean that lighter roasts should be ground slightly finer to increase the surface area of the coffee. This will allow for more aromatic compounds to be extracted. As lighter roasts are less brittle, they will also take more time to grind (and more effort if you’re using a hand grinder).
· This means that sacks of green coffee are a common sight at local markets; Nicole says that anyone can buy and roast it for sale or individual consumption. Nicole says: “Coffee vending is a means of survival and independence for those who can handle the long hours and labour with skill and tenacity.
· So, what does this mean for specialty instant coffee? Well, there is certainly space in the market. One of the biggest names in this segment is Saturnbird, which was founded in 2011 and started offering specialty-grade instant coffee in China four years later. Saturnbird’s packaging was designed as miniature plastic takeaway coffee cups.
· Oldenburg’s third place & the changing face of the coffee shop. In 1989, urban sociologist Ray Oldenburg published a landmark book, The Great Good Place, in which he examines the “third place” in all its various forms, from the beer garden and the bookstore to coffee shops and bars. In the book, he describes the third place as “the heart of a …
· Craftsmen Specialty Coffee is local-brand of 3rd wave coffee shop serving brunch items, specialty coffee and cakes. They source for single origin coffee beans from the best grower around the world, specifically from Brazil, Honduras, Kenya, Ethiopia, Sumatra, Costa Rica and Guatelama; each with different aroma and aftertaste.