· Vietnam is the world’s second largest grower of coffee beans. The French brought coffee to Vietnam in 1857, so most Vietnamese coffee is made with darker roasts, as is the preference in France. Vietnam grows primarily robusta coffee, which is known for being high in caffeine and more bitter than arabica.
· Currently, robusta makes up about 95% of Vietnam’s coffee production, while arabica makes up the remaining 5%. The country is most well-known for the former, the majority of which is grown in the Central Highlands region. The Central Highlands is responsible for around 80% of all Vietnamese robusta.
· Today, it is the country’s second-most valuable exported agricultural product after rice. Vietnam exports more than 30 million bags of coffee every year. Robusta coffee accounts for 97% of production in Vietnam, which has had a considerable influence on its reputation around the world. It is generally affordable, strong, and bitter.
· A profile: Angolan coffee today. Angola primarily grows robusta coffee, with some arabica farms that have recently been established at higher altitudes along the country’s Central Plateau.. JC Mainga is a Director at the Angola National Institute of Coffee (INCA). This organisation oversees coffee research and the distribution of seedlings. He says: “In Angola, …
· Today, across the country, coffee shops are popping up by the thousand. Whether local or foreign, they all make use of China’s ecommerce platforms. This is testament to one thing: the stark increase in local coffee consumption.
· Kona coffee beans are the most popular coffee beans from Hawaii. Of course, these are only a few of the countries that grow coffee beans. Other countries like Vietnam, Guatemala, Kenya, India, China, Venezuela and Jamaica grow coffee beans as well. There are more than 50 countries worldwide that grow and export coffee beans.
· Coffee from the country is often described as sweet, delicate, and floral, with notes of liquorice and spice. Until the 2000s, Caturra was the most popular variety in the country. However, between 1999 and 2007, most Caturra plants were replaced with Catimor, a Caturra-Timor hybrid that is resistant to coffee leaf rust.
· McLeod: If I weren’t running Salt Spring Coffee, I would most likely be doing something related to food and agriculture. Like coffee, food has a way of connecting consumers to producers and to the land. These industries — coffee, agriculture and forestry — remind us that the land needs to be taken care of.
· All across Latin America, coffee producing countries have traditional ways of preparing coffee that have been passed down from generation to generation. The café cubano, which originates from Cuba, is one such example. However, while the cubano (also known as a Cuban espresso) was invented in Cuba, today, it is regularly drunk elsewhere.
· The resulting confusion has underpinned most of excelsa’s recent journey in the modern coffee market. This has also been driven by the fact that the “excelsa coffee” label is often used when selling liberica varieties (much like how the words “robusta coffee” are broadly used to describe all C. canephora varieties).