The taxability of coffee in California is sometimes affected by the 80-80 rule, for which there are two criteria: More than 80 percent of the seller’s gross receipts are from the sale of food products More than 80 percent of the seller’s retail sales of food products are taxable as provided in BOE Regulation 1603
Sales of food for human consumption are generally tax-free in California. In addition, California sales tax does not usually apply to sales of the following items:
When hot is cold. California sales tax generally applies to all sales of hot prepared food, while sales of cold prepared food are generally exempt. Hot coffee is considered a hot prepared food, yet it’s exempt when sold separately unless taxable under the 80-80 rule (see below) or under California Board of Equalization (BOE) Regulation 1574.
Louisiana state sales tax often applies to hot coffee, but sales of “coffee and its substitutes” are exempt when (1) not prepared by the seller and (2) not sold by candy and nut counters, drive-ins, private clubs, snack bars, or establishments that furnish facilities for the on-premises consumption of the food.
· Interested in getting in on the ground floor of the burgeoning California coffee-growing industry?An opportunity has arisen in this small but expanding origin, as the Montecito coffee farm Valley Heart Ranch is currently posted for sale for a mere $14.9 million.. Up for grabs is approximately six acres of land upon which the current owners, luxury real estate designers …
· More than 2 million California residents live within 2,500 feet of an operational oil and gas well. The state’s oil regulators recently missed a …
· Rising in the polls as grounds for concern is the rapidly increasing crime rate in California. In 2020, homicides in the state increased 31%, reaching the highest total in 13 years.
· Excess stock found during search is taxable as business income and not as unexplained investment if such stock isn’t separately identifiable. This was held by AP High Court in the case of PPCIT v. Deccan Jewellera (P.) Ltd. –  132 taxmann.com 73 (Andhra Pradesh). In this case, Assessee was engaged in the business of gold and diamond …
· Grounds and Hounds was founded around 2012 after founder Jordan Karcher discovered a liver-spotted Dalmatian in Santa Monica, California, that he adopted and named Molly. This led to a organic specialty coffee business that gets its beans from a variety of primarily South American countries, and donates 20 percent of all purchases to dog rescues.
· Daily Coffee News covers coffee news from seed to cup, including stories on coffee origin, imports, exports, logistics, supply chains, sustainability, retail, baristas, roasting and consumer trends. The roastery cafe project, called Grounds, is the brainchild of Prague restaurateur and Rusty Nails Coffee Roasters Founder Rene Kralovič.
· CHUM Cà phê is an independent local coffee brand based on a tradition of work and care in craft roast. The brand is a chain of clean coffee shops, craft roasted and ground according to standards in Thai Nguyen, Vietnam. Every cup of coffee we give you with passion and enthusiasm.
· Student loan forgiveness is now tax-free, thanks to a provision included in the $1.9 trillion federal coronavirus stimulus package that President Joe Biden signed into law on Thursday. Formerly …
· Polar Playground is a fun new spot in Orange County with all sorts of desserts but specializes in fun cotton candy creations. Chances are you have seen their cotton candy on Instagram since there is a line that always starts before it even opens. That being said, it is an enjoyable family friendly experience to […]
· A California Democratic source said that others in the party are concerned, and “the right thing to do” would be for Feinstein to vacate her seat while Newsom is still governor and could appoint a replacement, since the recall “is looking like a closer election,” CNN reported.